Am I a sociopath?

By far not everyone is a natural talent in establishing contact with other people, especially the opposite sex - to 'simply' make friends or more. Here you can discuss your experiences about these and related topics like self esteem, the various kinds of social anxiety, loneliness and others.

Topic author
Annastevens3000
new on bo(a)rd!
new on bo(a)rd!
weiblich/female, 30

Am I a sociopath?

Post Jul 23 2013, 17:39

I fit pretty much most of the profile of a sociopath except that I know I have felt empathy and love before. It is fair to say that I lack empathy though. i have been called "heartless" on many occassions.
Here are the situations when I feel love and emapthy:
I know that I felt love for my mother and definitely for my father. I only got to see him once a month and I cried so hard every time I had to leave him. I definitely know that I loved my daughter’s dad and even though we are not together anymore I still would feel bad if he were feeling pain. I know I definitely feel love for my daughter. I can be brought to tears by sad films that involve the lose of family members, especially when there is sad music playing in the back round. I cried at the film Watership down when the cute bunnies died.
I know I can feel empathy but mainly in really strange circumstances which involve food. For example If a child fell over I would not feel sorry for him/her. However, if that child was say eating an ice cream and fell over at the same time I would feel pity. I am unable to tell my daughter off at meal times as if I saw her eating and gulping I just would not be able to hold back the tears. This is the same for animals and humans alike. I remember as a child I cried so hard because a man didn’t show up to an elaborate meal that Dot Cotton from Eastenders had prepared.
Also shortly after my daughter was born I witnessed a dog being run over and I cried so hard for the poor owners. I also feel empathy for people who have lost their children as I do love my daughter and so can share their pain.

Can I be a sociopath? Maybe female sociopaths are able to feel more empathy and love than male sociopaths, we just don't feel it as much as others do.

Ads

Loster
new on bo(a)rd!
new on bo(a)rd!
männlich/male, 25

Re: Am I a sociopath?

Post Dec 21 2017, 09:58

No,I think you are not .
At the very least, u have ability to empathize to others.Maybe you have some sort of antisocial personality, But according to your description, u have normal emotional power,there is a certain distance to the antisocial personality disorder.
I hope you and your daughter can be healthy and happy, these things don't have to think too much.